Dan Barusch, Director of Planning and Zoning
Adele Behrmann, Planning and Zoning Clerk
Doug Frost, Code Enforcement Officer
The Planning and Zoning Office administers the Zoning Code and Subdivision Regulations of the Town of Lake George.
This office works with the Planning Board and the Zoning Board of Appeals in regulating development throughout the Town. Meetings of the Boards are held monthly, the secondTuesday for the Planning Board and the first Wednesday for the Zoning Board of Appeals. Other meetings are held when necessary.
In order to be included on an agenda for a specific date, applications and paper work must be submitted to the Office prior to the deadline. Included on this page (Planning Board Meeting Schedule and Application Deadlines, Zoning Board Meeting Schedule and Application Deadlines) are the dates of the 2016 Planning Board and Zoning Board Meetings along with the deadline dates for applications.
It is through this office that those involved in any building or development would obtain a Certificate of Compliance, a document necessary in order to obtain a Building Permit from the County.
Copies of the Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision Regulations can be found in the Lake George Town Code. Click to view the Town Code.
Applications for Site Plan Review, Zoning Variances, Land Use Permits, or Septic Permits can be downloaded from this page.
The Planning and Zoning Office also handles stormwater issues and complaints.
Septic Initiative Program
The entire Town Code is accessible on this link. However it has been discovered that certain firewall programs make using the link impossible, therefore it might be necessary to disable the computer’s firewall program temporarily to view the code.
Progress of the updated Comprehensive Plan
This link goes to the Chazen Company and their progress in the preparation of the updated Comprehensive Plan.
NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (http://www.dec.ny.gov/)
NYS Department of State (http://www.dos.ny.gov/)
NYS Department of Transportation (https://www.dot.ny.gov/index)
NYS Department of Health (https://www.health.ny.gov/)
NYS Environmental Facilities Corporation (http://www.efc.ny.gov/)
Adirondack Park Agency (http://apa.ny.gov/)
Adirondack – Glens Falls Transportation Council (http://www.agftc.org/about.htm)
Lake Champlain – Lake George Regional Planning Board (http://www.lclgrpb.org/)
Warren County Fire Prevention and Building Codes (http://www.warrencountyny.gov/fpbc/)
Warren County Soil and Water Conservation District (http://www.warrenswcd.org/)
Lake George Association (http://www.lakegeorgeassociation.org/)
Lake George Park Commission (http://www.lgpc.state.ny.us/)
Fund for Lake George (http://fundforlakegeorge.org/)
Lake George Watershed Coalition (http://www.lakegeorge2000.org/)
Lake George Land Conservancy (http://www.lglc.org/)
Lake George Region Chamber of Commerce (http://www.lakegeorgechamber.com/)
Village of Lake George (http://villageoflakegeorge.us/content)
The Town of Lake George attempts to mitigate harmful effects of natural hazards using the direction from the Warren County Hazard Mitigation Plan. This plan, which was developed in 2011, is in the process of being updated. You can find out more regarding the update by clicking on the link above or by visiting Warren County’s Emergency Services webpage here: http://warrencountyny.gov/emergency/management.php. Please take a minute to fill out the Surveys located on the Warren County NY Hazard Mitigation Plan website’s homepage when clicking on the link above.
Historic Preservation Planning
In July 2016, the American Battlefield Protection Program (ABPP) awarded the Town of Lake George a $50,000 grant to compile a major report including an inventory and analysis of sites and features associated with the Battles at Fort George. This will be accomplished using period maps and primary documentary sources coupled with non-invasive archaeological field reconnaissance and GIS technology. ABPP funds projects conducted by federal, state, local and tribal governments, nonprofit organizations and educational institutions with the goal of safeguarding and preserving significant American battlefield lands as symbols of individual sacrifice and national heritage.
The creation of this report and associated GIS mapping will allow the Town and partner organizations (the Department of Environmental Conservation and the Fort George Alliance) to effectively identify historically relevant properties throughout the Town and determine the level of importance each site may have played during important American wars. It will serve to educate landowners and land preservation groups about the lack of protection that most sites associated with Fort George currently experience.
The Town has hired the firm Hartgen Archeological Associates to complete this planning research project. Throughout the course of the project, numerous public meetings will be held to allow for the citizens of Lake George to come learn about the project and to tell us their own stories. The project, which started in January 2017, is expected to be finished in the summer of 2018.
- A Power Point presentation May 2016, titled Hamlet Economic Planning and Assistance Initiative: Lake George First Public Meeting
- A Power Point presentation from the Second Public Meeting: Lake George Second Public Meeting_6.27.17
- The Lake George Draft Economic Development Plan: Lake George Draft Economic Development Plan
Storm Water Management
For any concerns or report of violations regarding stormwater runoff and pollution, please call 518-668-5131 (x311) to talk to the Stormwater Management Officer.
A public survey has been developed to garner input from residents on the perception of stormwater pollution issues. The survey can be accessed through the following link ( https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BL2BHR8), or by downloading the file below. Surveys not filled out online can be submitted to the Planning and Zoning Office.
Printable copy of the Stormwater Pollution survey:
MS4 public survey
Several brochures are available here which include information valuable to all residents relative to storm water management:
A homeowner’s guide to septic tanks
House Hazardous Waste information
Urban Runoff and its relationship to water quality
After The Storm: A guide to understanding stormwater
Text of Local Law 2, 2017, related to fracking
Local Law 2-2017_Ch.175-49 Fracking
- 2017 Planning Board Meeting and Deadline Dates
- 2017 Zoning Board of Appeals Meeting and Deadline Dates
- 2017 Planning and Zoning Fee Schedule
The fee schedule relates to actions of the Planning and Zoning Department.
- Land use and development application, 01 2016
- Site Plan Application
- Sign Permit (PDF – 145.6 KB)
- Sign Variance application
- Subdivision application
- Use Variance Application
- Area Variance application
- Lot Line Adjustment Application, 8-2016
- Festival Event Permit Application, 01 2016
- Flood Plain Permit and COC in Flood Plain
- Consolidated Board of Health Application (PDF – 30.2 KB)
- Septic Permit Application, 10-2015
- Short Environmental Assessment Form (PDF – 168.3 KB)
- Full Environmental Assessment Form, Part 1 (PDF – 502.0 KB)
- Full Environmental Assessment Form, Part 2 (PDF – 564.5 KB)
- Full Environmental Assessment Form, Part 3 (PDF – 54.7 KB)
- Charging Equipment Installation Permit for EVSE
- Unified Residential Solar pv Permitting Application_10-2016
- Understanding Solar pv Permitting Inspecting
Plans and Reports
- 2002 Comprehensive Plan (PDF – 19.9 MB)
The complete plan is very long and takes extra time to download. Be patient.
- 2015 Town of Lake George Comprehensive Plan
- 2015 Town of Lake George Comprehensive Plan – Appendices
- 2015 Stormwater Management Program Plan
- 2017 Final MS4 Annual Report
- 2016 MS4 Annual Report
- 2015-MS4-Annual-Report-Revised 9.22
- Under the MS4 requirements, the Town’s Stormwater Management must be available on the website.
- 2001 Lake George-Plan for the Future
- 2005 Lake George Recreation Study Plan
- 2007 Emerging Rule Concepts for Stream Corridor Protection
- 2009 Lake George Watershed Stream Assessment Report
- 2010 Lake George Gateway Corridor Plan
- 2011 Warren County Hazard Mitigation Plan
- 2012 Lake Champlain Watershed Erosion Assessment and Inventory
- 2013 Lake George Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Plan
- 2013 A-GFTC Long Range Plan 2035
- 2014 Adirondack Park State Land Master Plan
- 2014 Advantage Adirondacks – Economic Opportunities Plan
- 2014 The State of the Lake
- 2015 Fate of the Lake
- 2015 State of the Lake Chief Concerns
- 2015 Warren County Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan
- 2012 Lake George Trails Master Plan Draft_2013-04-23_Final